Category Descriptions for Human & Social Services Focus Area
- Children’s and Family Services: Provide childcare, adoption, foster care, family counseling, parenting education, and other advocacy/child welfare services that strengthen families and promote the well-being of children.
- Disability and Special Needs Services: Provide individual and/or group support and advocacy for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities to promote self-determination, employment, connection, and involvement in community life.
- Domestic Abuse: Domestic Violence Support and Prevention – Provides programs addressing the needs of individuals and families experiencing domestic violence situations and work that helps prevent the (re)occurrence of these situations.
- Food Banks, Food Pantries and Food Distribution: Provide hunger relief in communities.
- Homeless, Shelter & Crisis Services: Provides assistance to individuals and families experiencing homelessness and housing instability through direct interventions, basic needs and advocacy.
- Housing: Provides placement into permanent, supportive, or transitional housing; services that promote the stability of an individual or family in housing through wrap-around or support services; rental or utilities assistance; landlord-tenant mediation or eviction-prevention services; development of affordable housing units or preservation of existing affordable housing units.
- Mental Health: By invitation only, provides programs addressing the prevention and early intervention needs of primarily children and adolescents experiencing mental health issues.
- Multipurpose Human Service Organizations: Provide a broad range of direct services in the communities they serve (YMCAs, YWCAs, Red Cross, Salvation Army are examples).
- Youth Development: Promotes the ongoing development and growth of youth through quality outside-of-schooltime activities; connections to caring adults and mentors; camping experiences for young people.